Mining and Processing – Road Base Aggregates, Asphalt Concreting Aggregates and a Range of Single Size Stone and Blended Aggregates. Used in downstream operations in the production of concrete blocks and ready-mixed concrete and asphaltic concrete.
The Group’s Limestone Quarry operation is the Country’s largest privately owned limestone quarry, which is located in the Maracas Valley, received awards for six consecutive years for best developed quarry in the Nation. Equipped with two large crushers, with a combined production capacity in excess of three thousand tonnes per day of varied limestone products. The extraction and processing areas are confined to a narrow band on the Eastern side of the entire property.
- Supplies limestone products to both the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and the private sector
- The aggregate is primarily used in the production of both hot and cold mixes for our paving division; general works in our civil engineering division and continued sales to numerous longstanding customers
- In recent history, substantial quantities of the Group’s high-quality quarry products were exported to various countries throughout the region e.g. Guyana, Suriname, St. Lucia St. Vincent and Grenada.
The raw material extracted from the quarries are processed and sold as the following products:
The raw material extracted from the quarries are either further processed or sold raw as the following products:
- Aggregate For use in ready-mixed concrete and asphalt design mixes, base and sub-base works, construction and maintenance, manufacture of concrete blocks and pavers and also for the production of steel
- Stone Dust Used in the production of concrete blocks and as a filler in asphalt and concrete mortars
- Crusher Run Used as a crush rock base and sub-base material for road construction material
- Natural Decorative Tiles for walls, stairways and patios etc.
- High Quality Terrazzo Chips used in laying concrete floors and in the manufacture of concrete tiles
- Facing Stone Used for decorating walls and floors in residential and commercial buildings
With technical assistance from the Trinidad and Tobago based Caribbean Industrial Research Institute, (CARIRI), and the Brussels based European Union Centre for Development of Industry, the Company undertook studies to determine the potential of using its limestone reserves to produce higher value added products.
Sieunarine Coosal, our Chairman and Managing Director was invited by the European Union Centre for Development of Industry to spend ten days at the University in Brussels, to participate in research work on high-grade limestone with the calcium carbonate content of over 94%. One of the main criteria is the ability to reduce the limestone to the precise micron to be used in a wide range of products.
These studies revealed Coosal’ Quarry reserves contained high levels of chemical grade limestone, suitable for a number of spin-off applications some of which include:
- Sewage treatment
- Hydrated lime (Water purification)
- Glass manufacture
- Animal feed supplement
- Soil conditioner
- Filler for paints, adhesives, putties, sanitary ware, mastic asphalt and roofing sealant
- Production of quick-lime and other chemical grade limestone derivatives
Policies are generated around absolute respect for all stakeholders and appreciation for their input, are closely monitored and adhered to by competent staff complement charged with the responsibility to ensure focus on core differentiation strategies to deliver exceptionally high quality, customer responsiveness and satisfaction, and workforce empowerment. A sound mixture of those principles has established Coosal’s as a dominant player in the Quarrying Industry.
Emphasis is always placed to seek diverse and more innovative ways to tighten active integration strategy and further capitalize on core competencies and resources.
The Group always ensures the highest standard of health and safety performance and environmental compliance.